Do I have enough time?
Learning online requires important consideration for how you will manage your time. Before you start learning online, you should consider your current lifestyle. How will learning online fit in? It may not be as easy as you think, especially if you have a job, take care of a family, or have other commitments outside of school. Online students are given a unique experience as they can learn at a more self-imposed pace and with fewer constraints compared to taking traditional on-campus courses. Because of this, learning online requires more vigilance when it comes to time management and maintaining good study habits in order to be successful.
Time Management Calculator
To help you get a better idea of how learning online might fit into your current lifestyle, use this Time Management Calculator. The purpose of this calculator is to help you gauge how much time you should dedicate each week to your courses. A good rule of thumb is that for every 4 unit 10-week course you should set aside 12 hours for studying per week. Course activities, assignments, and exams may vary from week to week. As a result, you may need to increase or decrease the amount of time you will need to study and participate in your course.
How to Use the Calculator
- From the top-down select the approximate amount of time you spend on each activity by moving the sliders.
- Click on the “definition of” for each activity to get a better idea of how to determine the number of hours for that particular activity.
- Using the “advanced” button on each activity will allow you to further break down the number of hours for each activity by the day of the week.
- Once you’ve allocated all 168 hours of your week, click the “Get Feedback” button.
- Review your personalized feedback to help you determine any adjustments to your schedule or courses that might need to be made.